Saturday, February 19, 2011

Old Time Radio

While listening to the shows, it reminded me of Franky in the Christmas Story. Where he's so excited to get the secret code for the Oveltene commercial. Listening to old time radio and sitting still was a difficult task for me. I do not know how people could just sit there and listen to the radio for hours on end. There are time when my mom or grandparents reminisce about sitting in front of the radio with the family to just sit and listen. They compare it to reading a story; which I could see and relate to. Sometimes when I've driving with my mom she'll have a audio book in the car and I find myself focused on the story before I know it. The big difference I find between the audio book and listening to the old time radio is that even while we are driving I am able to multitask in a way. I am able to look at the scenery also. I have never been the type of person to just sit and do nothing. Even when I watch TV, I usually have something that I'm working on. Life was simpler back when old time radio was popular, so maybe if I had lived back then I would be able to sit still with the family long enough to listen to a whole show.

"I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."
~ Phil Rizzuto

1 comment:

  1. I agree these shows were very hard to stay focused and listen to. I usually have something else going on while I am watching tv as well. For instance right now while doing homework I have the tv on in the background just so that my mind is not strained on just homework.

    ReplyDelete