Saturday, April 2, 2011

State of the Media

As I was looking through the stats for the media categories, I was not very surprised by most of the number. However, I was surprised when reading the audio article. The fact that Satellite radio has declined in subscribers since 2009 made me really think. I personally don't have satellite radio partly because my car does not have the stereo setup to have it, but my grandma's car does. Last summer I took a road trip with her and all we listened to was the satellite radio. I liked it because there was a limited number of commercials due to regular radio and it was perfect for road trips because you never lose the signal when driving long distances so no more searching for new music when you change cities for example. The other stats did not surprise me all that much. Most of the media is shifting to Internet based access.

The dependence upon corporate advertising of the mass media - newspaper, magazines, radio, and television - make them editorially subservient, without in any way being prompted, to points of view known or thought to be favored by the big property owners ... The willing subservience shows itself most generally, apart from specific acts of omission or commission, in an easy blandness on the part of the mass media toward serious social problems
                           ~Ferdinand Lundberg

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your personally experience about the satellite radio. and give me some new knowledge about the radio's advantage.

    ReplyDelete